Children diagnosed with autism can have difficulties with social, emotional and communication skills. This can develop into traits that can affect interaction with others and difficulty in learning.
However, it is not just children who live with autism; many adults live with some form of autism.
Up to 75 percent of adults with autism are either unemployed or underemployed, according to a study conducted by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are six common traits that can be found in people with autism. These traits are:
- Aversion to sensory experiences
- Need for routine and order
- Difficulties with social interaction
- Difficulties with verbal or non-verbal communication
- Repetitive actions
- Deeply focused on specific interests