Morocco Participates in Inaugural Gaza Board of Peace Meeting as $7 Billion Relief Package Announced

Washington, The Gulf Observer: Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Nasser Bourita, took part in the first meeting of the Gaza Board of Peace on Thursday, chaired by US President Donald Trump, with representatives from 40 countries and the United Nations in attendance.
During the inaugural session, President Trump announced that Board members had collectively committed $7 billion toward a relief and reconstruction package for Gaza. He cited Morocco among the contributing countries, alongside Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates. The pledged amount exceeds the $5 billion figure previously referenced by the US President.
Morocco is a founding member of the Board of Peace. In January, Rabat confirmed that Mohammed VI had accepted President Trump’s invitation to join the newly established peace-making body. Morocco was also among the first signatories of the initiative, which requires each permanent member to contribute a $1 billion membership fee.
The US-led Board asserts that its mandate is to mobilize political and financial commitments aimed at resolving international conflicts. In his address, President Trump further pledged a $10 billion contribution from the United States to the Board.
He also stated that several members had committed troops and police personnel to an international stabilization force (ISF) for Gaza. Trump specifically thanked Indonesia for pledging 1,000 troops, while noting that Albania, Kosovo, and Kazakhstan had also committed security personnel. Earlier reports suggested that Morocco may likewise participate in the stabilization force, though no official confirmation has been issued.
Describing the Board as one of the most significant initiatives of his presidency, President Trump said it represents a collective effort by global leaders to help end conflicts and promote stability. “We work together with ending wars with their country,” he said.
Gaza Ceasefire and Reconstruction Efforts
In his remarks, President Trump claimed that the war in Gaza had effectively ended following a ceasefire agreement that took effect in October. However, reports indicate that tensions persist, with ongoing incidents affecting civilians in the enclave.
Trump characterized sporadic hostilities as “little flames” and expressed hope that Hamas would relinquish its weapons, warning of consequences if it did not. Acknowledging the complexity of the situation, he reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to securing a “brighter future” for Gaza, the Middle East, and beyond.
The President also announced that FIFA would raise $75 million for Gaza-related projects, reportedly focused on football development initiatives.
Scrutiny and Regional Dynamics
Since its inception, the Board of Peace has drawn scrutiny from some observers concerned about potential bias within its membership. Particular attention has been directed at the participation of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, while critics have highlighted the absence of direct Palestinian representation in the body’s deliberations.
Remarks on Iran and Global Conflicts
During the meeting, President Trump also referenced ongoing diplomatic engagements with Iran, acknowledging efforts by senior US representatives in facilitating talks with Tehran. He described discussions as constructive, while noting that regional dynamics remain sensitive.
Separately, Trump asserted that his administration had played a role in ending “eight wars” during its first year, suggesting that additional diplomatic breakthroughs could follow.
The inaugural meeting marked a significant step in operationalizing the Board of Peace, as member states outlined financial pledges, security contributions, and reconstruction plans aimed at stabilizing Gaza and addressing broader regional challenges.