November 29, 2025

Iran Says Development Will Continue Unaffected by Snapback Sanctions

Iran

Bushehr, The Gulf Observer: Iran’s Vice President for Executive Affairs, Mohammad-Jafar Qaempanah, has reaffirmed that the country’s development trajectory will not be hindered by the snapback mechanism or the re-imposed UN sanctions triggered earlier this year.

Speaking on Thursday during a visit to the construction site of the second lane of the Dalaki–Konartakhteh highway — a major segment of the Bushehr–Shiraz route — Qaempanah stressed that Iran remains committed to advancing its national infrastructure despite financial pressures and external constraints.

He noted that the project, considered one of Iran’s key national development initiatives, is progressing steadily. “Despite financial difficulties and external pressures, the process of building and advancing Iran continues,” he said.

According to the vice president, the ongoing expansion of the highway holds strategic economic and logistical significance. The upgraded route will enhance traffic safety, reduce fuel consumption, and strengthen connectivity between the Persian Gulf’s littoral regions and Iran’s central provinces. He described the corridor as “not just a new route, but a vital link” that ensures sustainable integration between Bushehr Province and the country’s interior.

Qaempanah emphasized that these efforts demonstrate Iran’s determination to pursue national development independent of foreign political decisions. “The Islamic Republic is not tying its development to the snapback mechanism and its subsequent sanctions,” he asserted.

The snapback mechanism, embedded in UN Security Council Resolution 2231 that endorsed the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, allows participating states to unilaterally restore UN sanctions if they believe Iran is in significant non-compliance. Britain, France, and Germany invoked the mechanism in late August this year, leading to the reinstatement of sanctions in late September — a move Tehran has condemned as illegal and based on unfounded allegations.

Despite the renewed sanctions environment, Iranian officials maintain that the country will continue moving forward with infrastructure, economic, and development projects across its provinces.