Trump Pauses 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods as US, Canada Near Trade Deal

Trump

Washington, The Gulf Observer: US President Donald Trump has announced a three-day pause on new 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that were due to take effect at midnight, citing substantial progress toward a trade agreement between the United States and Canada.

Trump announced the decision late Tuesday on his Truth Social platform, saying the tariffs had been suspended on the basis that the two countries had reached a deal, subject to finalisation of the relevant documents.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, however, said in a statement issued about an hour later that “substantial progress has been made,” while noting that important work remained to be completed.

The Office of the US Trade Representative said the prospective agreement would include comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments and alignment on digital trade, among other provisions.

The three-day pause is expected to provide Washington and Ottawa additional time to finalise the details of the agreement and complete the necessary documentation before the new tariff measures take effect.