France Reaffirms Support for Morocco’s Sovereignty Over Western Sahara During Rabat Talks

France

Rabat, The Gulf Observer: France’s Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on Thursday reaffirmed his country’s strong support for the territorial integrity of Morocco and its sovereignty over the southern provinces, highlighting growing international backing for Morocco’s Autonomy Plan for Western Sahara.

Barrot made the remarks in Rabat following talks with Morocco’s Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita during his official visit to the kingdom. The visit also included participation in the second ministerial conference on peacekeeping in Francophone environments, co-chaired by France and Morocco.

Speaking at a joint press conference, Barrot described the Western Sahara issue as “existential” for Morocco and reiterated the position expressed by French President Emmanuel Macron in a 2024 letter addressed to King Mohammed VI.

“The present and future of this territory fall within the framework of Moroccan sovereignty, and the autonomy plan proposed by Morocco is the only basis for a just, lasting, and negotiated political solution,” Macron had stated in the letter.

Barrot emphasized that France remains firmly committed to this position and noted its consistency with United Nations Security Council Resolution 2797 adopted in October last year, which recognized Morocco’s autonomy initiative as a credible framework for achieving a realistic and lasting political solution to the dispute.

The French minister said the resolution reflected a growing international consensus in favor of Morocco’s autonomy plan and welcomed the resumption of direct discussions among the concerned parties.

“I can only welcome this positive momentum, as well as the resumption of direct discussion between all parties based on this autonomy plan,” Barrot said, expressing hope for a swift resolution to the long-running conflict.

He further stressed France’s commitment to supporting Morocco’s efforts to develop the southern provinces, noting Paris’s decision to strengthen its consular and cultural presence in the region, including the opening of a visa application center and an “Alliance française” branch in Laayoune.

“Our companies are investing, and the AFD and our operators are supporting them — and this is only the beginning,” he stated.

Barrot also highlighted the strength of Franco-Moroccan relations, describing Morocco as France’s leading economic partner in Africa and a major logistics, energy and financial hub connecting France with the African continent.

The French foreign minister pointed to expanding cooperation in industry, energy security, defense and digital sectors, while referring to a planned bilateral treaty aimed at establishing a long-term strategic framework for relations between the two countries.

“Few countries enjoy such a framework. It would be the first treaty of this kind with a non-European country,” he said, adding that the initiative seeks to strengthen exchanges and cooperation between the two societies for decades to come.

France remains one of Morocco’s largest trading partners. According to Morocco’s Office des Changes, the kingdom recorded a trade surplus of MAD 15.9 billion with France in 2024, compared to MAD 11.9 billion in 2023.

Meanwhile, Antonio Guterres expressed appreciation to Morocco and France for jointly organizing the peacekeeping conference in a recorded address delivered on Thursday.

The United Nations chief stressed the importance of peacekeeping operations as one of the organization’s most effective tools, particularly at a time when the world is witnessing the highest number of conflicts since 1945.